Tuesday 18 January 2011

Walking through mud and dancing on a volcano!

You may have noticed, that I'm rather the critical type. I usually write about the things worth complaining in Tango. But there's also lots of good stuff and on Friday, I've experienced another great example of Tango solidarity and commitment.

We were on our way to a local Milonga in Wiesbaden (Milonga Orillera) and actually happy about the rising temperatures of the last few days. When approaching the site, a sign appeared, telling us, that the way to the Milonga was flooded and that we had to take a detour by food to access the place. Obviously, the waters of the Main had also risen! I have to admit, that I would have turned around and gone to a restaurant, had we not agreed to meet our host of this weekend's workshops at the Milonga. 

Although I really appreciated it, that Michael of the organising team lead the way by bike through the deserted area, I was rather annoyed. I grumbled along the muddy riverside way, trying to keep my feet dry. We really did not expect more than a dozen dancers. 

I was surprised to find a full-blown Milonga with around 80 Tangueros crowding the dance floor. The atmosphere was warm and every guest was greeted like a long-missed friend having made the effort to come! All knew, that we might be stuck there, as the waters were still rising and our way back might be obstructed my the flood as well. It was like dancing on a volcano and we stayed until the end, ignoring the pending doom! 

And we had been right: on our way back, the waters were knee-high. But the organisers had provided for help. After their self-constructed catwalk had collapsed, they arranged for a shuttle service: one of them was driving the visitors with his mini-van through the waters, risking to be stuck in the mud. 

So, thanks to great organisation and kindness, we arrived in dry territory without wetting our feet. 

Well... almost... As I mistook a shining surface of water with asphalt, I managed to drain my boots. That's so me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wir können Sie nicht verstehen!

Melina Sedo said...

@ Anonymous:
http://www.rosettastone.de/